Thinking Schools Ethiopia: Addis Ababa, Tigray, SNNPR, Aksum, Hawassa, Hosanna, Yirgalem, Mekelle, Shire
Thinking Schools Ethiopia
Thinking Schools Ethiopia (K-12 and University) was started by Robert Seth Price in collaboration with The Thinking Foundation for 8+ years includes Education Bureaus in Addis Ababa, Hossana, Hawassa, Tigray and more. The collaborations include creating a Thinking Schools Ethiopia action guide and a website documenting the collaborations.
The Thinking Schools Ethiopia Guide (English)
Guide in Amharic/English • Tigrinya
The Thinking Foundation & Thinking Schools International
Founded by Thinking Maps creator David Hyerle, the focus is on research of visual tools. Robert Seth Price has collaborated with Dr. Hyerle for many years on visioning; technology developments including for qualitative documentation; co-authored the initial Thinking Schools International guide; and co-produced the Thinking Foundation film Minds of Mississippi.
Thinking Design Healthcare Ethiopia
The goal of the Thinking Designs collaboration with St. Paul’s Millennium Hospital and Medical College, and Mekelle University Health Sciences departments is to integrate a patient centered (hospital and clinical) and student centered (medical college) approach throughout the university and hospital. The goals include supporting the universities vision of becoming a top 25 university of health sciences in the continent of Africa, and creating an environment of critical thinking medical professionals, staff and students to improve their successes within the healthcare field.
Mobile Critical Thinking Tools
Collaborative Processes, Visual Tools,
Frame of Reference, Questioning Models,
“In our work and in our living, we must recognize that difference is a reason for celebration and growth, rather than a reason for destruction.”
Critical Thinking Tools are the core, and grounding, of what supports and develops authentic student engagement. Student engagement is what keeps us as educators motivated in classrooms and our learning communities. This should be an environment for all students, in all schools, and in all places. Equity consciousness is grounded in belief and belonging.
Critical Thinking Guide
- Collaborative Processes
Collaborative Learning, Peer to Peer Coaching and Community Building Exercises.
- Visual Tools and Mapping
Visual Maps for brainstorming, cause/effect, compare/contrast, categories, sequencing, relationships/analogies, perspectives for expanding thinking with frames of reference.
- Frame of Reference
Cultural Frame of Reference, Schema, Depth and Complexity.
- Questioning for Inquiry Models
Powerful Questions, Guiding Questions and Socratic Seminar / Shared Inquiry.
- Creating a Thinking Environment
Belief, People, Objects and Materials.
You can download the Mobile Critical Thinking Tools guide, and additionally I would recommend the current collaborations with The Pedagogy of Confidence Leadership Action Guide as a resource. This collaboration with Yvette Jackson includes many of the models, methods and strategies within along with practical implementation modules, how to for many strategies, structures for implementation and research.
Download the Critical Thinking Guide
A cognitive language for organizing thinking.
Thinking Maps, developed by Dr. David Hyerle, are visual teaching tools that foster and encourage lifelong learning. They are based on a simple yet profound insight: The one common instructional thread that binds together all teachers, from pre-kindergarten through postgraduate, is that they all teach the same thought processes.
Based on thorough and well-accepted academic study and brain research, the eight Thinking Map tools correspond with eight fundamental thinking processes.
Thinking Maps, Inc. is committed to improving the quality of teaching and learning through the effective implementation of Thinking Maps in schools and school districts around the world. Through quality training, materials and support services, we will equip learning communities with the tools necessary to become successful thinkers, problem solvers, decision makers, and ultimately, lifelong learners.
Thank you Geoffrey Suddreth, General Manager of Thinking Maps®, Inc.; Chris Yeager, Consultant Director for Thinking Maps®, Inc.; and David Hyerle, creator of Thinking Maps® and founder of Thinking Foundation for providing use of Thinking Maps® with professional development by Thinking Schools Ethiopia (Part of Eminence Social Entrepreneurs, Ethiopia) for school leaders, NGO leaders and educators in Ethiopia. Thank you to Corwin Press and the author David Hyerle for permission for reprinting excerpts from Visual Tools for Transforming Information into Knowledge (second edition).
The information below of the Thinking Maps and Frame of Reference for each of the maps provides an overview. To deeply understand and implement Thinking Maps as a visual language in the classroom and whole school setting, please contact Thinking Schools Ethiopia for professional development training in Ethiopia.
Thinking Schools Ethiopia Blog
The posts below are excerpts with a link to the full post and images / video. Links to previous post archived are listed below the excerpts.
- Mobile Critical Thinking Tools GuideThe Mobile Critical Thinking Guide by Robert Seth Price is a practical guide to implement critical thinking tools. The tools are is categorized by: Collaborative Processes Collaborative Learning, Peer to Peer Coaching and Community Building Exercises. Visual Tools and MappingVisual Maps for brainstorming, cause/effect, compare/contrast, categories, sequencing, relationships/analogies, perspectives for expanding thinking with frames of… Continue reading Mobile Critical Thinking Tools Guide
- Gohagot Elementary School – School Site Professional Development VisitGohagot Elementary School by Dagim Melese and Atsede Tsehayou Dagim and Atsede facilitated professional development with Gohagot Elementary School as part of the collaboration with Tigray Development Association and the 37 model schools across Tigray. There are 24 teachers at Gohagot Elementary School. The number of teachers newly transferred to the school are 13. The… Continue reading Gohagot Elementary School – School Site Professional Development Visit
- Student Centered and Patient Centered Critical Thinking Healthcare EthiopiaThis post is on our recent collaboration with Mekelle University Health Sciences. The facilitation of the week training was a collaboration with my colleagues of six + years Atsede Teshayou and Dagim Melese. The key contacts with Mekelle University were Vice Provost Dr. Loko and Dagim Ali who was the coordinating project manager for the university.… Continue reading Student Centered and Patient Centered Critical Thinking Healthcare Ethiopia
- Thinking Schools Ethiopia • Engage Now Africa
Collaboration with Thinking FoundationThinking Schools Addis Ababa, Ethiopia A Collaboration of Thinking Foundation and Engage Now Africa By Dagim Melese & Atsede Teshayou Thinking Schools Ethiopia with Thinking Foundation began its collaboration with Engage Now Africa (ENA) with the first phase Instructional Leadership Training facilitated on Thursday and Friday, Nov. 10th and 11th 2016. Participants included the Wereda education bureau deputy head, leadership… Continue reading Thinking Schools Ethiopia • Engage Now Africa
Collaboration with Thinking Foundation
- Mayi Ayni Elementary SchoolThinking Schools Tigrai, Ethiopia By Dagim Melese & Atsede Teshayou We began the site visit at Mayi Ayni Elementary School with our conversations with the school leader Ato Amanuel since we arrived earlier than the set time for the conducting the professional development. In our conversations with the director we were shared the following existing level… Continue reading Mayi Ayni Elementary School
- September 2021
- February 2019
- January 2019
- November 2018
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- November 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- October 2011
- September 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- September 2009